Sunday, November 15, 2015

More Books

One DayOne Day by David Nicholls
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Dex and Em love each other, or do they? This novel uses the unusual format of using one day (July 15) over a course of 20 years to offer snapshots of their lives. I felt myself drawn to these weird but believable characters. And it's not as rom-commy as "When Harry Met Sally". Spoiler ahead - there isn't a happy. I wish there was one though. The Hollywood adaptation stars Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess.

The HippopotamusThe Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This has to be one of the funniest novels I've ever read. Fry's work is best described as a kind of raunchy P.G. Wodehouse. And in "The Hippopotamus", there's the mystery of miracle healings to boot. Fry's second novel is incredibly witty - and filthy. Be warned. There's a horse involved. Highly recommended for fans of British humour. And a movie adaptation is being filmed.

A Clash of Kings  (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Continued with Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy, having watched the corresponding episodes of the TV adaptation after every few chapters of Book Two. There are some chronological continuity issues, but I still think reading the books helps you enjoy the TV series better. I'll go slow, and hopefully Martin will publish the sixth instalment by the time I catch up.

The UnnamedThe Unnamed by Joshua Ferris
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I found this much-hyped novel about a successful lawyer who suffers from an unnamed affliction -- well, he is a compulsive walker and often finds himself waking up on the ground miles away from home -- too dreary for my tastes.

Ferris writes beautifully, but the premise would have worked better as a short story. I couldn't connect with the characters and they seemed one-dimensional. For an amazing novel about how illness affects the family, read Jerry Pinto's "Em and the Big Hoom" instead.

Those Pricey Thakur GirlsThose Pricey Thakur Girls by Anuja Chauhan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

To those who say this book is a desi version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, let me just say that such comparisons are utterly unfounded. Yes, it is a breezy read and it's nice to have a rom-com set in New Delhi in the 1980s. Still, Chauhan's The Zoya Factor was far more enjoyable, perhaps because of its autobiographical elements. But I should tell you "Those Pricey Thakur Girls" does trump the soppy TV adaptation. No, I don't watch it. I just happened to catch a few minutes of one pathetic episode.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts