Saturday, March 18, 2006

American vs Indian Idol

Yup! People are surprised to know that I prefer watching American Idol rather than the more popular Indian Idol series.

Unfortunately, the popularity of Indian Idol hinges on melodrama and thrills, rather than actual singing. In a recent episode, the judges walked out after the people of India allegedly committed a crime by voting out a much more talented singer.

Chaos prevailed for some time - helping to jazz up TV ratings - before the singer himself refused to allow a rematch, declaring that he had "accepted" the verdict of the people and destiny. Talk about TV magic.

On the much more staid American Idol show, I am kinda rooting for Taylor Hicks. If he's voted out, my next best bet would probably be Katherine McPhee and Paris Bennett.

I even started a blog on its official website although I haven't updated it. You can read it here.

1 comment:

  1. well i didnt watch a single episode of Indian Idol though I was pretty obsessive about American Idol...

    Somehow I found the indian version less riveting though i know a lot of indian families were glued to the tv and suppporting them and would break down in tears when they lost...

    I attribute that more to the fact that we havent had reality tv around for very long

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts