Thursday, August 27, 2009

Do blueberry muffins ring a bell?

It's quite late by the time I get back from office. And dark too.

In not-so-safe New Delhi, it's a good idea to know who you are opening your doors to -- especially at night.

So when someone rings the doorbell, and all Mom can see through the grill door is the silhouette of a person standing outside, she asks "Who is it?"

And I answer 'blueberry muffin'.

That's the cue for her to open the door.

Yes, we have a password system that's safer than most burglar alarms, vicious dogs and electric fences.

This month, the magic word is 'blueberry muffin'.

Last month, it was 'chocolate chip icecream'.

"But why only food?" says Mom. "Why can't we have sensible passwords?"

Well, that's because I set the passwords and I have a sweet tooth. It's a diet that has seen me go from 'thin' to 'no-longer-thin' on my blog profile in just five years.

And if cutting back on desserts (I swear I am) is a good thing, I can at least relive those sweet memories at night -- when I utter the calorie-filled syllables that gain me access to my home.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet on the password approach, not so sweet the thought that you need one to gain access through your door. Your own set of keys perhaps, might just do the trick and mum could use that well deserved rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, try telling that to my parents. No matter how late I am, they want to open the door themselves and make sure I am back home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree. Parents always want to wake up for the kid, even if it is 3 am in the night.. Tony, remember the night shifts!!! And they call children stubborn!! Woh soyenge hi nahin toh fayda nahi hai hamare keys rakhne ka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the passwords are awesome!!! u really do this? lovely!!! Just make sure it remains a secret! Ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh...

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts