Monday, April 21, 2008

Surviving Delhi's Bus Rapid Transit Corridor II

(Read Part I of this post here)

I feel sad for the blind and the aged. The people who are at others' mercy when it comes to crossing the road. At the BRT Corridor, it's worse. The reed-thin traffic marshal with a baton doesn't scare car drivers and his attempts to help an old lady reach the bus-stop are quickly rendered futile.

A cow ambles across the road and an alert traffic marshal is quick to pursue the fugitive. But his actions end up confusing the animal and it darts aimlessly into oncoming traffic.

The BRT corridor has swallowed up a few men and a dozen dogs in the past and it seems this milk-white cow is set to join the gang in paradise. But a bus screeches to a halt and order is quickly restored. The cow will live to moo the tale.

The brand new sign marking the bus-stop for Sheikh Sarai Phase II lies crumpled, mowed down by an errant driver or perhaps just an angry one. Pedestrians aren't saints either. Jaywalking is in. Who wants zebra-crossings?

It's Day Two of testing for the Bus Rapid Transit corridor and it quickly becomes apparent the problem will be far worse today. Three times Sunday's crowd is in for the torture, bigger caterpillars, angrier drivers, hotter temperatures, three-hour delays. Manic Monday on the BRT Corridor makes it as a news item on NDTV.

Their OB van is stationed on the route and I watch the reporter mumble something into the mike as the camera pans across the road to where I sit -- inside an autorickshaw.

More people now seem to have shared my brainwave of yesterday. The buses are crowded (even in the early morning) but they will reach their destinations faster by travelling along the central verge.

The autorickshaw-wallahs of Delhi are in fleece-mode today but I am too exhausted and irritated and late to complain. At least I will have air to breathe. But I steal a glance at a bus trundling past bursting at the seams.

My driver is in a chatty mood, assured as he is of a neat profit. I am taciturn, not least because he's overcharging me.

"The government has gone mad," he turns and exclaims, fingering his well-oiled moustache and displaying a set of paan-stained teeth.

"Yes"

"They should have just extended the Metro train from Lajpat Nagar"

"Yes"

"All this in the name of development. But who gains, sahib? Everyone suffers"

Silence.

He gets the hint and turns his attention back to the road. We hadn't moved an inch in five minutes.

Further ahead, another cow bars our path - a black one this time.

By evening, authorities realise the situation is getting out of hand. And allow cars to travel along the bus corridor.

The effect is telling -- the hitherto ecstatic bus passengers are quickly brought down to earth. My pain eases a little now that all of us are stuck - but stuck together - in the same mess. We are crabs that will never allow another crab to get out of the basket.

In the coming days, many will debate the pros and cons of Delhi's Bus Rapid Transit Corridor. This brainchild of an IIT Delhi professor will rock parliament and perhaps silence even those crying themselves hoarse over onions and potatoes.

But it will be people like myself, connected by this South Delhi lifeline, who will continue their daily odyssey, suffering and waiting patiently for God knows what.

Aaaaaaaaargh! I should stop philosophising and look for a house in North Delhi.

12 comments:

  1. Even though I do not live in South Delhi, I have been catching up on all this happening, and it looks crazy. One wonders as to whether things will get better ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me it won't. Even a poorly planned system like this may work abroad but I guess commuters and pedestrians there are better educated and won't hamper the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Tony, I'm glad I'm at home right now and your take on the BRT mess is making me wonder if I should indefinitely postpone my return to the Capital Chaos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nahiiii!!! What am I going to do? I will have to think of other ways to get to the other side of Delhi - via outer ring road or something...sigh. horrid prospect! Anyway, I hear Madam Dikshit might be considering scrapping it altogether!
    IMO, bus lane etc great idea. But buses need to be increased, quality improved, and road sense instilled in drivers. That last point itself will take a few generations...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Toni

    BRT was our headlines for two days and we finally got madam dikshit on our show yesterday at 10pm who clarified it was just teething troubles and that they are were considering scrapping it but its not going to happen...She however has given a 48 hour ultimatum to sort out the mess..she also said "We want whats good for the people...but not at the cost of people's inconvenience beyond a point" haha...Feel bad for everyone on that strech and thank my stars to buying a place in dwarka!!! ancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anusha: Well, it affects you only if you live in that part of South Delhi. The ones who don't can't figure out what the big deal is.

    Sumathi: Dead right. Travelling in a bus is a breeze now - BUT they are still hopelessly crowded and it's too hot to travel in them during peak hours, stuffed as they are with a seething mass of sweating bodies. Which is why I still prefer travelling by auto.
    I travelled by bus today and we got stuck because the bus in front broke down on the BRT. We had to reverse for some 200 metres before we could escape to another lane. They should have planned for such problems while building a dedicated bus corridor.

    Ancy: They can't scrap it now - after spending all that money. I guess Dikshit had hoped to make BRT an election plank. Unfortunately it's become a noose and will cost the Congress some valuable votes in south Delhi. I bought a place in Dwarka too but it's still stuck in that housing scam. (Trust my luck) Until that gets sorted out, it's gonna be BRT for me day in and day out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it does irritate me to no end. Since I have to travel in that direction to go to my gym everyday!:(

    Since I don't like changes much, it is not a hit with me too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ab: nice to have company in my misery

    ReplyDelete
  9. I often wonder how anything manages to be changed or made to work in our country, since everyone reacts to the smallest measure only through their own perspective, and how it affects them. Traffic snarls are actually changing who we are as people, our relationships, I think. Good luck until the mess gets sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Banno: I would like to clarify that I am not averse to change, development or introducing concepts that have worked well abroad. I love the Delhi Metro and the way it came up - quick, reliable and without frustrating other commuters.

    But the Delhi Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor was a badly planned project from the start - it's rightly dubbed the 'Tughlaqian' endeavour that will cost the state government both money and votes.

    Just wait for the monsoons - I expect the traffic corridors to become flowing rivers that will cause even bigger jams - the concrete won't really let the water escape.

    I am not in favour of scrapping the project now that so many millions have been spent. The experts can surely can come up with some solutions (like foot overbridges, drainage pipes) that can alleviate the mess.

    But for that, they should leave the comfort of their cozy offices and travel the BRT corridor in a bus under the hot sun. Maybe then their brains will start working.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well summarized....and in quite a humorous way too...though ofcourse like I often say if its a brain child of a genius...there is a serious but obvious flaw that only the commoner will be able to point out

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am writing with regards BRT projects as implemented in two Indian cities. Despite being a campaigner for improving Pune's bus public transport system, I have not managed to share the optimism over BRT projects in Pune (and perhaps Delhi) for various reasons. Unfortunately a number of factors are being over looked in the ongoing debates. Concepts such as cost effectiveness and opportunity costs remain forgotten. Equally to run after a dream called BRT without having basic pre-requisites in place is nothing but foolish. For more details on my views with 15 embedded links please read my article by clicking here -http://better.pune.googlepages.com/WhyBRTinIndiadoesnotexciteme.htm

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts