Thursday, April 05, 2007

Remembering Laurie Baker

The quizmaster looked pleased as he read out his next question 'With which profession is Laurie Baker associated?'. The gaggle of ten-year-olds surrounding him looked nonplussed. Laurie Baker who?

But one bespectacled kid smirked and awaited his turn. His competitors were busy offering guesses. He's a music director, ventured one gangly lad. His plump companion said Baker was an astronaut. Another thought he was a politician.

Soon it was our youngster's turn. "Housing and architecture," he piped up. "Correct," said the quizmaster grudgingly. "Two points to Tony"

Yup, the kid who answered correctly was yours truly. Laurie Baker helped me win that quiz ages ago. And how did I know the answer? It's time now to reveal the secret.

My mom used to work in an architect's office and one day she brought home a magazine with photos of houses designed by an English architect. "This guy builds absolutely amazing low-cost houses in Kerala," said Mom as she watched me set eyes on Laurie Baker's creations.

Baker died on Sunday. May he Rest in Peace.

5 comments:

  1. That is some interesting fact. Btw, saw a link to my blog. Thought I will drop in and say a quick thanks! Tadaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you wrote about it. Was wondering if and when someone would mention Baker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) in this post, you mean

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D actually, just general reference. I read about Baker's passing only by coincidence, and was hoping someone in the Indian blogosphere would write something. I believe the obituary of the week is for a Delhi publisher, who unfortunately I never knew. Nevertheless, Baker did a fair bit to change Indian aesthetic sensibilities, which I believe ought to be acknowledged, even if it is in tangential reference... like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, he did. And as for the Delhi publisher, I believe the name is Shakti. I didn't know her either.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts