Sunday, April 29, 2007

Indians suck. Or do they?

Richard Gere kissed Shilpa Shetty. India flared up. Or did it?

Gere's interview to Jon Stewart prompted one YouTube user to comment that "Indians suck".

For many in the West, India still conjures up images of naked sadhus, elephants and prudes who can't stand the sight of people kissing.

Unfortunately, the media made it seem as if the whole of India was up in arms over the incident and Gere had escaped arrest by the skin of his teeth. But I look around and spot no rampaging mobs and no smouldering effigies.

People are least bothered about the incident and the poor judge in Jaipur who issued the arrest warrant against Gere is the laughing stock of his community. So what if a few hundred fanatics organised protests in a few Indian cities - it's still a few hundred out of a billion people, remember?

Indians do suck at some things (as do foreigners) but being prudes is not one of them. India is the land of the Kamasutra. And I guess we can tolerate kissing of any kind.

So Mr Gere, do come visit us whenever you can. You will surely be attacked - by a bunch of women offering you bouquets.

ALSO READ
SPOOF - CBI in New York to arrest Richard Gere
Will Richard Gere be extradited from the US?
Of Richard Gere, Shilpa Shetty and the Kiss that wagged a thousand lips

10 comments:

  1. Good one. Linking it on http://www.bestofindya.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh .. this really had me riled too.. wrote on it.. http://themadmomma.blogspot.com/2007/04/richard-gere-and-kiss-of-death-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on your topic, that we shouldn't consider such issues as major whip to India's culture (Sanskriti). But in other point, being Indian don't you think you should carry atleast mere respect for India, it first land of dharma, and then of Kamasutra.

    And of course, media will try to pull the topic in different view, but the general public will not accept such kind of behaviour which relates and should be kept to west.

    It's may be or not my anger, but can you speak hindi, or you have devoted yourself to the west [English] language, like today's youth.

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abhishek: Yes, I can speak Hindi. But how is speaking English "devoting yourself to the West"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    This is the first time I came across your blog. I'm an American, white, Christian and I think India is a great country with a rich history and culture. I've several Indian friends. I was very saddened when I read some of the comments about this Gere-Shetty incident on the Washington Post's blog:
    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/05/richard_gere_shilpa_shetty_ind_1.html

    I read numerous accounts of apparently Hindu Indians ridiculing and attacking Christianity in very vile despicable terms. Also I saw more than a few posters referring to white Westerners by the pejorative, "wigger."

    It's interesting on one hand some can become so enraged by seeing a public display of affection yet the same people can with their next breath crudely disparage an entire religion with over a billion followers (Christianity) or people who have a certain skin color. This is gutter racism and religious hate speech.

    I suspect these disgusting comments represent a minority of the Indian peoples' views.

    Personally I think Gere should have been more circumspect but I also recognize the hypocrisy at play. I've seen Shetty at London events in very revealing dresses, in photo shoots for magazines, and I've heard she's kissed many men in Bollywood films. Now if Gere had done this to Mother Theresa it would be another matter ;-)

    Regards,
    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050218/asp/etc/story_4377360.asp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Zach,

    If anything, those accounts that you read are extremely rare. I can assure you I am a Christian myself and I have never experienced any racial attack - verbal or otherwise - my whole life in India. India is known for its diversity and tolerance and ignoring the few who think otherwise would be the best policy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. they do not suck...how can you judge them before you knew them? that is judgmental...they are very smart people and maybe VERY few people are like that but not all...some people make-up lies about places they don't even know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. stop pretending to know us

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your writing sucks, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts