Saturday, April 21, 2007

Beauty and the Beast

As a child I used to believe that only the good-looking were nice people. The others were shrewd and existed on earth only to exploit you.

I thought it was God's way of helping man realise which of his peers could be trusted. And the formula was often put to the test.

Juggy, who had a particularly striking mole on his nose, was the one who bullied me the most. Prahlad, who was cute in a television commercial kind of way, helped me with my homework. And Ehsaas, who fell midway in the looks department, didn't bother me too much.

Then one day, I read Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. This dude, who could easily have won a modern day personality contest, turned out to be such a horrible person.

Things changed after that.

I viewed all beauty queens with suspicion. Surely Aishwarya Rai had a painting hidden somewhere in her house which portrayed her as a hideous leper. Surely Sushmita Sen had bonded with the devil to keep her looks intact.

Years later, I still have no concrete idea how to gauge people. Sometimes I rely on the eyes to judge character. If kindness doesn't seep through the eyes or words, I usually wait for the inevitable moment when their actions harm me. Not a fool-proof test but it usually proves me right.

Beauty and Beast are now viewed with equal suspicion. Flawless cheekbones and scarred forehead are treated alike. Till they pass the kindness-in-eyes test and I begin to trust them. What do you think?
How can you gauge a person's character?
Appearances can be deceptive
Eyes are windows to the soul
You can't trust anyone
Philosophical crap
By spending a year with them
  
pollcode.com free polls

5 comments:

  1. I agree. A lot of people think that gorillas must be kind because of their handsome features, but not all of them are. On the other hand, quite a few humans are very decent characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That they certainly are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well decent characters in humans is a rarity guys! I concur with the thought that good-looking people are usually nice. I grew up thinking that too. Thank god, things changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, nice guys (good-looking or not) usually finish last. That's bad, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree tony, nice guys do finish last, always and everywhere

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts