Monday, February 20, 2006

RDB finally!

Yes, I finally succumbed to everybody's wishes and watched Rang de Basanti. Or should I say, was forced to watch it. My brother bought tickets for the 10.45 pm show at PVR Saket and all four of us - Mom, Dad, bro and I - trundled down to the multiplex for a dekko at the Aamir-Khan starrer.

As it turned out, I wasn't disappointed although the film isn't the masterpiece everybody keeps swearing it is. The breezy first half, before the brouhaha over (Warning: Spoilers ahead) Madhavan's death and the Defence Minister's assassination, is like a breath of fresh air for Indian cinema. But all hell breaks loose after the interval.

Five college-going lads turning into modern-day freedom fighters by avenging their friend's death is a bit too dramatic for me. Will not elaborate.

The star of the film for me was not Aamir Khan but young Karan Singhania (aka South Indian actor Siddharth Suryanarayan) who impressed with his understated acting. Hope to see him in more Hindi films.

My favourite supporting character - Kirron Kher who was endearing as the back-slapping Punjabi mom. The music by A R Rahman grows on you as usual, especially the Rubaru number. I don't believe there's anybody else left who hasn't watched Rang de Basanti, but if you haven't, go take a look.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tony

    I too found Karan the best actor. Understated but too good. Hope to see him in more films. The first half of the film was nice and funny but the end too violent. And yes, 'Rubaroo' is a nice song. I like the title song as well--peppy with nice lyrics.

    Upasana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I not only found Siddharth a good actor but also a sexy & cute looking one(though the smoking could hav been cut).I have started seeing telegu films only to see him. Hoping to see him in more hindi films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. siddharth was assistant director.he act few tamil fims and shifted to telugu films.u know he did MBA in mumbai and even delhi university.hope to see him in more fims.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts