Wednesday, March 07, 2007

An Ode to the Delhi Metro

There was a time when relatives from Kerala would troop in at the city railway station, all agog at their first glimpse of Delhi. And the Red Fort, Qutab Minar and Lotus Temple were the usual suspects on their must-see list.
Now, I simply take them for a ride on the Delhi Metro.

This world-class transit system has upped Delhi's prestige and in my opinion has helped it replace financial hub Mumbai as India's hippest city.



A friend tells me that commuters go crazy trying to get a mobile signal on the New York subway and the London Underground. But mobile conversations are loud-and-clear on the Delhi Metro no matter how many metres below the Earth's surface I descend. Amazing, huh?

True, there used to be chaos at busy stations like Rajiv Chowk (Connaught Place) with passengers finding it difficult to disembark due to the sheer numbers waiting outside. But last month, authorities started a queue system with guards to oversee the process. And it has worked really well. Now, it's a pleasure to watch people wait patiently for me to get off first.

All my pals know I dig the Metro experience and lose no opportunity to wax eloquent about it. So this blog post won't come as a surprise. I just hope more Delhiites and visitors from abroad try this world-class experience. And get hooked.

I won't say it's all hunky-dory though. Authorities should consider stepping up security. I entered the Pragati Maidan station early one morning last week and there was no security guard there.


Some baggage-laden men got in behind me and entered the train. The memories of the horrific Mumbai train blasts were still fresh in my mind. What if their suitcases contained explosives? Well, things now seem to be moving on the security front as this newspaper report says.

As for the photos, I clicked them with my mobile camera during my 7 am journeys to office. That's why the compartments look so empty. Don't try this yourself coz you need special permission to take photographs/videos inside the Metro stations and trains.

Wanna know more? Click here for their official site.

View my Delhi Metro montage

2 comments:

  1. Delhi's hip, and a lot more. Love the city! Nice. Please keep writing about the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. delhi metro is probably the best thing happened to the city and the country i guess, waiting for more such metros in the country, this has just become a bechmark ...awaiting the same success
    - a mumbaite

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts